Re: [squid-users] cache questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 09 May 2003 18:42:32 +0200

fre 2003-05-09 klockan 16.57 skrev Pat Lendon:
> Hello All,
>
> Not sure how to best tune cache.
>
> (1) We have 20 RedHat Linux systems running Squid-2.5.STABLE2. Each system has 256 meg memory and Squid cache is set at 1gig (cache_dir aufs 1025 16 256).
> LRU's are about 19.67 days. Ran cachemgr and cache appears full (90% mark).
> Approx. 20 proxy clients..
>
> Since LRU's are high, should I reduce cache to 500 meg?

Not unless you are short of memory.

> Is it normal for cache to be full and LRU to be 19.+ days?

If you have sufficiently large cache compared to your traffic then yes.

> (2) The RedHat system we use for Parent proxy (Squid-2.5.STABLE2) has 1gig memory and Squid cache is set at 5gig. Number of proxy clients is 257, LRU is 3.83 days and cache is filled (90% mark). Maximum_objec_size is default of 4096kb.
>
> Since LRU seems ok at 3.83 days, do I need to increase cache size if cache is full?

If you have 1 gig of memory then you can handle a much larger cache than
only 5 gig. However, as you have a very large LRU in your secondary
caches I do not think the hit ratio of this cache can be very large
(most cacheable content is already dealt with by your secondary caches,
leaving very little opportunity for cache hits at the parent. but this
is not a bad thing so it is not a problem), unless ofcourse you also
have lots of clients using the parent directly without a secondary
cache. But if you have disk space available I see no reason why not to
try to make use of it.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before