RE: [squid-users] Anonymous SSL Tunneling Proxy

From: Jeremy Junginger <jj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:57:02 -0700

You see, that's where things get interesting. If you remember magusnet
(www.magusnet.com/proxy.htm) which is now defunct, you used to enter a
url such as:

https://www.magusnet.com-_-www.yahoo.com

And it would sure as shit return www.yahoo.com, although you were using
the proxy over ssl. You see, I think that people are getting so caught
up in what "product x" or "product y" supports that they aren't getting
the point. All I'm trying to do is tunnel http over ssl. It sounds
like a rather simple concept, but as you can see, the devil's in the
details. I actually read an article that touted a 5 line netcat +
stunnel script that would turn a box into an anonymous ssl tunneling
proxy, but when I asked how it had been configured, they told me that
the article had been published in error and that it could not be done
with netcat and stunnel alone. At any rate, I'm at the same point you
are. I don't know how to do it, but I'm playing with it and trying to
learn. I have seen it work, there are companies that make it work, and
I'm just not sure if I'm barking up the right tree with SQUID, or if
this can be done with some other proxy/webserver software.

Anyhow, thanks for the reply, and sorry if the email looks a bit harsh.
I'm just a little concerned that I can't get a YES or NO.

-Jeremy