RE: [squid-users] Response time warnings...

From: la. w <squid-user@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 14:05:17 -0700

----
Here is some data over the past hour or two -- it is odd because
there are so many duplicates and the averages seem to be so bad.
Notice at 10:42, the "Median" (isn't that the point at which
half are above and half are below?) jumps up to almost 3 minutes.
For seconds 43-51, I'm expected to believe all responses during the
previous minute ended at 178.492 seconds?  For 9 seconds any responses
that terminated terminated at near 3 minutes wait time?
I wish I could say these response times were abnormal, but they
aren't.  This is why I was wanting to get in and break down the
details of what composed the final response time -- like how often
am I getting a 30ms response time fetched out of cache.  Is my
cache doing me any good or just slowing me down, overall.  I know
occasionally, I'll download a multi-meg file and the 2nd time
it runs through at nearly 200K/s out of the cache, but those
times are rare and far between.
What's the point of getting out broadband when the response times
are measured in seconds for each item on the page?  I have a
SDSL-1.1, BTW, so max download speed is around 130KB/s, roughly.
I visit the same sites multiple times throughout the day, but it
seems so many have a do-not-cache bit set, or are at constant
addresses like "kdfjklsj.asp?ikjfioiu:ksdlfj;lkjfj" (or whatever),
often varying with each 'session' (using addresses instead of
cookies to maintain state.
But it seem when things slow to a crawl, they *really* slow to a
crawl.  Pinging ISP shows normal response times.  Weirdness.
-linda