Re: [squid-users] Frontpage upload problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 19:55:07 +0200

On Monday 12 May 2003 12.33, Tuomo Tenhunen wrote:

> Few users are using frontpage to update homepages.With squid FP
> does not even ask username and password but whitout squid it works
> just fine.It this some header_size problem or what ?

Probably the server they connect to only supports NTLM authentication
(also known as Microsoft Integrated Logon). To be usable via the
proxy the server must have standard HTTP Basic or Digest
authentication enabled (Basic is also known as "Plain text").

This is not due to a limitation or bug in Squid, but due a design
error in the NTLM over HTTP protocol making it not HTTP compliant.
(NTLM over HTTP authenticates TCP connections, where HTTP is message
based just using TCP for transport, possibly shared)