Re: [squid-users] Transparent proxy and WCCP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:35:04 +0200

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 08.39, MunFai wrote:

> So does anyone know whether I need both ip_gre and ip_wccp modules,
> or will ip_gre do? If I do need ip_gre, where can I get one for
> kernel 2.4.19?

You only need one of them. The ip_wccp module is a lot easier to
configure, but may have security implications if your network allows
GRE traffic to be routed. The ip_wccp module blindly accepts whatever
GRE WCCP packets your box receives wile the patched ip_gre module can
be configured to at least require the source address to be that of
your router..

The ip_gre patch found in the Squid FAQ should apply to the
Linux-2.4.19 sources I think, but have not tried.

The ip_wccp module should also compile fine with Linux-2.4.19.