[squid-users] Transparent and Auth

From: jamie <jamie@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 16:10:08 -0700

I know your gonna kill me for this one and I want to say up front I am
really sorry for asking.

We do transparent proxieing now with squid and iptables. Basically all the
traffic on port 80 is hijacked and redirected to port 3128.

I don't understand why the browser needs to be set in order for the auth
prompt to come up. The traffic is going to the write port. Doesn't squid
just tell the browser that it needs to be auth so the browser pops up a log
and pass box?

Sorry if this is really a dumb question but I just don't understand.

Thanks
Jamie