RE: [squid-users] Need a simple Windows FTP client to use through SQUID

From: Lightfoot.Michael <Lightfoot.Michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 16:04:54 +1000

> I'm running an authenticating Squid proxy for our network here. I'm
> trying to find a simple FTP client for our people to upload files
> through the Squid authenticating proxy to the Internet. I'm finding
> plenty of clients that claim they go through a proxy, but I've never
> gotten any to work (they all want a firewall/SOCKS proxy). Any
> suggestions. (It has to be simple to use.)

Squid is _not_ an FTP proxy. It will convert ftp:// URLs (which come
from a browser as HTTP requests) to the FTP protocol before going direct
to the origin FTP server (in proxy chains only the last in the chain
will send FTP protocol commands.)

AFAIK, only some browsers (Netscrape 4.x??) will do uploads, but all can
do anonymous or real user downloads. Some FTP clients may be able to do
HTTP to a proxy server for ftp:// URLs.

If you require an actual FTP proxy there are some around (but I have
never needed one, so I can't be of any assistance here.)

Michael Lightfoot
Unix Consultant
ISG Host Systems
Comcare
+61 2 62750680
Apologies for the rubbish that follows...
NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments may contain confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient you should not use or
disclose any information in the message or attachments. If received in
error, please notify the sender by return email immediately. Comcare
does not waive any confidentiality or privilege.