[squid-users] squid parent proxy filter problem

From: Warren Togami <warren@dont-contact.us>
Date: 21 May 2003 00:34:47 -1000

I am trying to force Squid to query a parent SurfControl VS for Linux
content filter proxy, but I am running into trouble. (Unfortunately
there is little chance I can convince this school to use alternatives
like squidGuard or DansGuardian.)

My server is running:
squid TCP 3128
SurfControl TCP 8080

SurfControl doesn't support transparent proxying like Squid, so I am
using firewall rules to redirect dport 80 traffic to TCP 3128
squid. That squid handles caching and I want it to get all traffic from
SurfControl TCP 8080 running on the same host.

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-4.html
Section 4.8 and 4.9 of this document describes a method to force all
connections to go to another proxy, but it doesn't seem to work. Rather
than requests going through the parent proxy, they go directly to the
Internet.

I have the following within my squid.conf:

acl campusnetwork src 192.168.0.0/24
cache_peer localhost parent 8080 0 no-query default
cache_peer_access localhost allow campusnetwork
http_access allow campusnetwork
always_direct allow campusnetwork
never_direct allow all

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?