Re: [squid-users] Blocking IP & DNS Host name

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:30:35 +0200

"Pennell, Ronald B." wrote:

> Don't really know, my boss visited this site: //stealthtests.lockdown.com/cgi-bin/proxy and it gave him a list of:
>
> Remote_addr: Real IP address of our proxy server
> Remote_Host: proxy server dns name
> HTTP_VIA: show proxy software and version being used
> HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR: client IP Address
>
> Guess he is looking for making our proxy server: anonymous.

  1) There are various aspects in this output
  2) What you will do in the future should be narrowed down
  and well defined, also by expanding your knowledge on the above info
  (fields).

 - The ip address of the proxy server can not be hidden on the Internet,
 since IP is the basic networking protocol on the Net.
 One could of course obtain for DMZ solutions and use NAT to with
 firewalling to minimize 'return attacking possibilities' to the proxy

 - The DNS server of the proxy can be removed from 'the internet'
 in your dns setup and is not really needed, I think.

 - Not sure immediately about 'HTTP_VIA' but squid.conf has
 options to disable and enable Header fields, you can look into that

 - Same for HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR, it tells the remote webserver
 which client browser contacted squid, for the particular http object
 (so can be disabled using settings in 'squid.conf').

 M.