Re: [squid-users] Optimizing squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 22 May 2003 11:17:53 +0200

tor 2003-05-22 klockan 09.08 skrev Clark Allan Dave:
> I have inherited a squid proxy; it is quite a loaded proxy and has
> many problems so I am trying to optimize it. At peak load it has over
> 470 users with a request per minute at about 600, and the hit rate on
> disk is about 50 % and memory is about 5% and transfers about 2.5 Gb
> of new data a day.
>
> I will upgrade the H/W this weekend with a second hard disk dedicated
> ,just to cache .This will be a 20 GB IDE disk
> Current is 8 GB drive, the disks are using UFS. Also I will increase
> ram to 768 MB.

You surely could do with a larger cache to increase the hit ratio (only
10-13% today).

As you are not having a very high request rate I am not so sure the
bottleneck is your hardware.. but upgrading the hardware never hurts
performance.

I'd recommend you to spend some time to study the cause of the problems
you are having and not betting everything on the upgrade.

> Also is it worth upgrading to squid 2.5 stable, as we run 2.5 Devel.

DEVEL releases SHOULD NEVER be used in production. These are ment for
testing and development only.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before