Re: [squid-users] Forwarding only some queries to parent

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:04:49 +0200

On Friday 23 May 2003 11.45, Daniellek wrote:

> Sorry, question should be "why is he not forwarding all queries
> to working proxy?", If parent is dead it should go direct, but
> if it's working all queries should go through parent...

Unless forced to Squid will not forward queries to parent caches where
it already knows there won't be any benefit from the cache of the
parent.

You can set "prefer_direct off" to make Squid a little more interested
in using parents on requests even when there obviously won't be any
benefit from the cache of the parent proxy, but if you really want
Squid to send everything to the parent no matter what then you have
to use never_direct.