Re: [squid-users] Squid install

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 13:35:56 +0200

Kevin Haydn wrote:

> I am having problems creating the cache directorys when i run the ./squid -z
> comand I get the error
>
> [root@proxy sbin]# ./squid -z
> 2003/05/26 11:04:24| Creating Swap Directories
> FATAL: Failed to make swap directory /usr/local/squid/var/cache: (13)
> Permission
> denied
> Squid Cache (Version 2.5.STABLE3): Terminated abnormally.
> CPU Usage: 0.000 seconds = 0.000 user + 0.000 sys
> Maximum Resident Size: 0 KB
> Page faults with physical i/o: 7
> [root@proxy sbin]#
>
> I have looked on the FAQ
> to create the swap directories on your filesystem. If you have set the
> cache_effective_user option, then the Squid process takes on the given
> userid before making the directories. If the cache_dir directory (e.g.
> /var/spool/cache) does not exist, and the Squid userid does not have
> permission to create it, then you will get the ``permission denied'' error.
> This can be simply fixed by manually creating the cache directory.
> # mkdir /var/spool/cache
> # chown <userid> <groupid> /var/spool/cache
> # squid -z
>
> I dont know what userid or groupid to use can anyone help with this

 You can use any userid and groupid ; the idea is that this belongs
 to the 'unix account' squid is running on , hence the cache dir(s)
 should have the same ownership.

 On my system I created an account named 'squid' and a group called
 'squid'.

 Squid runs with uid/gid 'squid' , and the cache dir(s) belong to this
 account specs.

 M.