Re: [squid-users] User agreement banner

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 09:16:17 +0200

On Friday 06 June 2003 06.04, Fulton L. Preston Jr. wrote:

> I have a client (a hotel) that wants to use Squid in transparent
> mode (they want client access to be as easy as possible.) They
> want all users to be provided a user agreement upon FIRST time
> access where they click on OK before getting web access on their
> first access to the web. If they don't click OK they get denied
> access. I think this could be done with scripts to add the IP
> address to an ACL, which would expire at checkout time (11AM along
> with the DHCP lease) but I am not sure how to implement this.

It is not impossible to do with Squid, but a bit hard. This is much
easier to do in firewalling.

Make your firewall redirect the users requests for port 80 to an
Apache server with the confirmation page until they have confirmed
their access, and block all other ports. When confirmed reconfigure
the firewall to redirect the IP address to Squid instead for port 80,
and NAT all other ports which the user should be able to contact.

The more tricky question is when to "log out" the user.