RE: [squid-users] User agreement banner - solution found.

From: Fulton L. Preston Jr. <fulton@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 22:26:19 -0400

>It is not impossible to do with Squid, but a bit hard. This is much
>easier to do in firewalling.
>
>Make your firewall redirect the users requests for port 80 to an
>Apache server with the confirmation page until they have confirmed
>their access, and block all other ports. When confirmed reconfigure
>the firewall to redirect the IP address to Squid instead for port 80,
>and NAT all other ports which the user should be able to contact.
>
>The more tricky question is when to "log out" the user.
>
>Regards
>Henrik

Henrik,
Thanks for the idea. I didn't even think of that. Now it is looking
much easier to implement.

Since this is a hotel, when to "log out" the user is easy, check out
time at 11AM. Expire the firewall ACL and release the DHCP lease. Each
day the user will need to "re-auth." This also makes billing easier
because the user has to click the agreement to be charged for access
that day.

Regards,
Fulton