Re: [squid-users] xmalloc failure, yet FAQ items check out ok

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:15:21 -0700

"Mike Diggins" wrote:
> I had trouble with my squid process growing out of control until I
> recompiled with --emable-dlmalloc. Since doing so the squid process
> behaves memory wise.

Mike, thanks for the input - I've only/always compiled with dlmalloc so was
speculating that perhaps there existed some other more Solaris-friendly
malloc. But malloc may not be the issue at all. I am assuming that the
process size dropped from 600+ MB to 200MB due to the increase in swap.
That's the problem with making more than one change at anyone time.

> However, there is a bug in Squid 2.5S2 (and earlier) where some sites will
> cause squid running on Solaris to crash with either a segmentation, bus
> error or 'xmalloc: Unable to allocate xxxx bytes' messages. At least that
> is what I was getting. Be sure to either upgrade to 2.5S3 or apply this
> patch:

http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/bugs/#squid-2.5.STABLE2-dns_root_
label

Well by golly, crashing my development Squid at will is pretty cool :)
I get "Bus error" not "xmalloc..." but this isn't the PROD box. Also you
say it can generate either message type. I'll compile 2.5S3 now and give
that a shot.

Thanks again for pointing this out to me,

Adam