Re: [squid-users] Chaining squid to another vendor proxy....and F TP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 00:15:58 +0200

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 21.41, Clint Davis wrote:
> microsoft KB article #199376 shows my error. This article deals
> with FTP sessions "flipping" to read-only ( which implies that IE
> can do R/W). At least thats what I gleam from this article.

IE can do R/W FTP when it speaks FTP to a FTP server.

IE can not do FTP PUT via a HTTP proxy. When using a HTTP proxy IE
(and any other browser) speaks HTTP to the proxy, not FTP, asking the
proxy to fetch or store ftp:// URLs.

> My goal is blocking off commandline FTP ( security policy).

You cannot block protocols by the tool used unless you can run a local
security policy on each computed mandading what your users may run on
their computers.

> So my users have to use some GUI to R/W FTP. Windozs users can
> use any number of clients that support proxy servers. But what
> would unix users use? IS there a CuteFTP or WS-FTP for unix?

Any UNIX FTP GUI, or command line FTP asking it to connect via the FTP
proxy (provided you have one). You cannot tell the difference at the
proxy.