[squid-users] Windows XP inconsistent on proxy use?

From: Rick Matthews <k5wls@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:21:38 -0500

I have a Windows XP box running IE 6.0.2800 and it is configured to
use my squid proxy at 192.168.44.1:3128. Everything appears to work
fine from a user perspective.

I am blocking outbound port 80 at my firewall and whenever this PC
is in use I see blocked port 80 attempts. I spent about 15 minutes
this morning doing general browsing on that PC, and then checked the
firewall log. I was surprised to find a large number of port 80
entries. There were only about 12 ip addresses, but all of them
had multiple entries (50+).

I looked in squid's access.log and quickly found 4 or 5 of the
ip addresses listed for sites that I visited. Is it possible
that while trying to load a page, IE would send most of the links
using the proxy and send a few of them via port 80? That's how it
looks to me. While I was browsing I did not notice red "x's" or
other indications that items had not been loaded. Maybe it
tried direct and then fell back to the proxy? (I'm not using
a proxy.pac file; the proxy address and port has been entered.)

I had tcpdump running at the time (looking for something else)
so I have the requests captured, but looking at them doesn't
do anything for me.

As I was researching this I found that my squid version (2.4.STABLE6)
is a little dated; could that have anything to do with this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Rick