[squid-users] freebsd 5.1 and transparent proxy

From: Andrew Thomson <ajthomson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:21:56 +1000

hi,

i've searched the archives and seen that there's been a bit of
discussion of at least freebsd and transparent proxying.

i too am endeavouring to set this up.

i've checked out the following section in the squid faq.

http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-17.html#ss17.8

my queries arise as i want to know what the state of play is at June
2003. the faq kind of indicates it's old! "of this writing (July 1999.)"

my first question relates to the --enable-ipf-transparent

do I need it on freebsd 5.0??

if I try and compile it with this setting i get the following configure
output.
checking if IP-Filter header files are installed... no
WARNING: Cannot find necessary IP-Filter header files
         Transparent Proxy support WILL NOT be enabled

However my kernel is compiled with firewall support.

Output from dmesg:

"ipfw2 initialized, divert enabled, rule-based forwarding enabled,
default to accept, logging unlimited"

Anyway, this is probably a good starting point for my hassles and could
be the answer to why nothing I've tried has worked as yet!! ;)

I'm also running a setup where I have a freebsd firewall which will fwd
the packets to the freebsd squid server.

Most of the stuff i've read involves the firewall and squid running on
the same box, or a cisco router forwarding the packets..

I've raised many of the queries on freebsd-questions however had limited

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of this.

Regards,

ajt.