Re: [squid-users] iptables to limit connections

From: Adi Nugroho <Adi@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 09:59:23 +0800

Pada hari Senin, 16 Juni 2003 17:52, Chijioke Kalu menulis:
> read your reply to Pada's problem, am using htb for this solution too and
> not squid, but I cant manage the inbound/outbound traffic properly or so it
> seems, so bandwidth hogging tools, like email spiders and email harvesters
> tend to suck it up, am trying to look into IMQ method.
>
> Am wondering have u implemented via IMQ, got some pressing questions on it.

Yes, we are using IMQ also.
I use IMQ to limit incoming traffic using egress filter.
Once you use IMQ as follow, just use the new device (imq0) as you ussualy do
in your normal htb rule to eth0.

        modprobe imq numdevs=1
        ip link set imq0 up
        iptables -t mangle -F
        iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -j IMQ

Btw, since I'm not expert in Linux, maybe it is better to ask in lartc mailing
list. Thare is a lot of linux guru there :-)
Of course I will also help if I can.

--
Salam,
Adi Nugroho