Re: [squid-users] SPAM/VIRUS sent to squid-users? (RE: Database at Infinex)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 09:36:13 +0200

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 21.21, la. w wrote:
> Is there a reason for attaching what appears to be an empty file
> named PNI.sln.exe and why is it was sent to "Squid-users" via
> email harvesting off of the squid users list using "Bcc" to
> individual users?

This virus was not sent to the list, or at least was not accepted by
the list processor. The SMTP headers you posted suggest the copy you
received was sent directly by the infected station to your mail
server.

Email viruses are becoming smarter and smarter in how to get past spam
filters, user awareness etc, and has for a long time faked both
sender and receiver addresses by collecting email addresses from a
variety of sources (local address book, mail folders, the Internet
etc).