RE: [squid-users] Browser fails to prompt for authentication

From: Fred Evans <fred@dont-contact.us>
Date: 19 Jun 2003 10:04:32 -0700

I made sure that the password file is owned by the user squid runs as
and is readable by that user.

Prior to this installation of squid there was no transparent proxy. The
browsers were not configured for proxying at all until I configured them
to work with this install of squid. Further, I tested on IE and Mozilla
for windows and Mozilla for linux.

The config is as follows:

auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid/ncsa_auth /etc/squid.passwd
auth_param basic children 5
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours

acl users proxy_auth REQUIRED
http_access allow all users