Ats.: [squid-users] Re: Squid floods and kills router

From: Andrius Kriučkovas <andriuskr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:53:25 +0300

> Fixing the router is not about correting this issue, but correcting
> the fact that this issue causes your router to crash and require a
> reboot to recover.

Ofcourse. But I am afraid, that my router CPU is to slow to cope with
such packet storm anyway. I will do the best I can with it, but let
us focus on Squid delay pools.

> Delay pools are not supposed to give storms of small packets. Instead
> they are supposed to give delayed larger packets up to te byte rate
> specified in the pool.

        Thanks for clarification. I expected this reasonal behavior.
And Squid seems to behave like this until initial delay-pool is
depleted.

> > 2. It is mis-configuration in my config?
> Not likely.

        I'll try to do it with bare config - only basic acl and 1 delay
pool. Maybe default config is OK. If there will be any new evidence,
I'll post it.

        #670 is not specific enough to match my case. Once again:
All is OK - client loads page slowed-down to desired rate, page
is complete, everything is OK, except small-packets storm instead
of fewer big.

> A quick test on Linux seems to indicate delay pools works like
> expected however. Created a class 1 pool with parameter 1000/1000,
> and I have a single 1000 byte packets sent to the client once per
> second.

        I believe that. I would go for Linux, but its HW in my case
is too limited.

> I think your problem is probably different from that of Bug #670.

        I presume the same. It is a pity, I do not have direct debugging
tools to pinpoint problem myself. Hope I provided enought clues to do
this "on your side".