Re: [squid-users] Howto Block Msn Messenger in Squid !!

From: Justin Hennessy <jhennessy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:21:19 +0930

Hi Mahesh,

I have just recently done this, I found though that blocking the IP was no good as the IP's change (and could change).

The first thing you have to do is make sure that the users can't get directly out to the outside world (must use the proxy).

Then I created and added the following lines in the squid.conf:

acl MSN req_mime_type ^application/x-msn-messenger$
http_access deny MSN

This identifies the MSN traffic and blocks it (works great, much to my users disgust *grin*).

Justin

>>> Mahesh P <upurma01@thiru.vetri.com> 22/06/2003 5:59:28 pm >>>

Hi there,

I am running Redhat 7.3 with squid 2.4 stable i want to block MSN
Messenger communication for this i have configured as below :-

acl msn-mess dst ip address/subnet mask
http_access deny msn-mess <for specific user>

But it is not working. My user are using squid for running msn messenger
they set in options through proxy port 3128 and they are successfully
running msn messenger.

is there any way i can block msn messenger in squid by using either port
number or ip address?

Thanks in Advanced

Mahesh