Re: Res: Re: Res: RE: [squid-users] problem with BIG passwords

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 23:06:20 +0200

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 19.37, Alex Carlos Braga Antão wrote:
> Stephen,
> I have a DC with AD native Mode here, not a NT4, and the
> problem also happens with smb_auth, because I cannot login even
> with smb_auth, but manually it gives me OK.
> It seems squid cannot read big passwords, or it passes them with
> limitation to the helper...

This I tested before my previous response, and Squid happily processes
very long passwords as long as the total is less than 63 characers.

This was tested with the ncsa_auth helper from Squid-3 which supports
MD5 hashes of arbitraty length passwords, and it successfully
authenticated a user with a more than 50 characters long password.
Just tested again to make sure I did not do anything wrong, and it
still works.

In case of ntlm authentication Squid is not even involved in the
length of the password. In ntlm authentication the length of the
password is a business between the browser and the domain controller
in how the password is hashed. The data processed by Squid is
independent on the password length in case of ntlm authenticaiton.