[squid-users] Replication not Caching

From: Bhattacharyya, Somraj <02008937@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 14:52:15 +0100

Hi guys !!

"If we replicate a web server and place it near as near as possible to a
client then we might not require caching servers." This is a general
statement and vissible for very large and popular web servers.

If a multinational company puts different web servers for different
continents , its not only able to reduce the network traffic but also
provides a better response time to the users.Lots of huge conpanies also
doing that.
But the servers should be same, that is one master(updatable) and others
slave(viewable). Like the same way we configure parent and child proxies in
squid. But instead of caching I am thinking direct replication between those
servers to give support for a large number of users ( a country or may be
more than one country).

Please note: Say by using say 5000 caching servers (roughly)we are serving a
country, where same web pages are cached in dfferent severs.May be two
servers side by side on a same table containing the same page, solving
problem but isnt it wasting resources.But one replicated server of a
particular website could handle the same situation, but ofcourse only for
that web site.

How can squid and apache can technically help me to support this idea.Mainly
to support replicating web doucuments with in web servers not caching.

Please share your ideas.
Thanks
Somraj