Re: [squid-users] Serious probem with transparent caching?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 21:07:04 +0200

On Monday 30 June 2003 16.10, Adam Aube wrote:

> I didn't mean turn off the cache completely - just stop caching
> transparently. Configure the browsers to directly use the cache.
> The IE bug only affects transparent caching.

Minor technical note:

The bug is not with IE, the bug is transparent caching.

Transparently interception of TCP sessions violates the IP protocol,
and as a by-product it changes the semantics of HTTP beyond any
official specifications causing cracks to open in the specification
allowing issues like the IE refresh issue to show up. It should be
expected that issues like the IE refresh problem can show up in
"transparent proxies" as transparently intercepting proxies are
operating outside any official specifications for how proxies and
browsers should interact.

As there is many ISP:s and corporations using transparently
intercepting caches Microsoft kindly extended their browser in later
versions to not make assumptions about HTTP cache control
requirements when not configured to use a proxy, scarifying network
efficiency slightly to work around "illegal" solutions.