Re: [squid-users] round-robin and lack of load balancing thru icp problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 00:46:50 +0200

On Thursday 03 July 2003 00.34, Bob Arctor wrote:

> when i download more than 2 files load is balanced , each file goes
> via own squid - and own internet gateway...
> but one large file, or an http:// stream flies via only one
> connection...

Yes, this is inherent to the design of the HTTP protocol. HTTP runs
ontop of TCP.

> also , if one of connections stall, or is broken, squid doesn't
> switch to other peer cache in list to continue download.

Squid does not do anything your client does not do.

Squid is a proxy, not a download manager.

If the Internet connection breaks then Squid will detect this and
break the connection to the client as soon as TCP detects the failure
or something external to Squid forces it to be detected by shutting
down Squid (recommended on the gateway Squids when detecting a
servere link failure). If your client supports resumed downloads then
the download can be resumed, and if your setup is correct then the
resumed download will select the link which still works (if any).