Re: [squid-users] question about Forcing proxy.

From: Colin Campbell <sgcccdc@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 13:24:06 +1000

Hi,

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 10:32:36 +0800
"Wei Ming Long" <WEI_Ming_Long@dsi.a-star.edu.sg> wrote:

> >I'll tell you upfront, authentication does NOT work with transparent proxy.
>
> >Adam
>
> Why is that so? can you kindly explain to me? Thanks

Think about it. HTTP supports two authentication headers. One for the web
server, one for proxy authentication. If the browser doesn't know there's a
proxy present

1) there's no way it should respond to a "407 Proxy Authentication Required" -
it could be someone trying to steal your username and password and

2) why should it fill in the Proxy Auth header if there is no proxy?

Colin

--
Colin Campbell
Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster