Re: [squid-users] Content lengh being added to if-modified-since http header?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 11:49:31 +0200

On Thursday 03 July 2003 11.20, Richard Fuser wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
> Have a problem with a java menu app when going via squid and have
> been looking at http headers being passed back and forth and I have
> seen the following:
> When using our squid proxy server (2.5STABLE3) the header lines for
> if-modified-since have a length tagged onto the end.

Squid does not do this, but there are some browsers which does this.

The length parameter to If-Modified-Since is a Netscape extension of
HTTP/1.0, meant to improve the accuracy of If-Modified-Since in case
a document is updated twice in the same second.

HTTP/1.1 solved the same problem in a better way via the ETag header
and If-None-Match.

";" is used within HTTP to separate header values from extra
parameters to the value. No extra parameters are defined for
If-Modified-Since, but if any extra parameters are to be sent then
these should be separated by ";".

firewall appliances please refer to MARA Systems AB, Sweden,