Re: [squid-users] Squid Proxy not caching DNS

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:15:37 +0200

On Tuesday 08 July 2003 06.26, chisholm 27 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a problem when connecting to a destination site who are
> running DNS round robin for its 3 web servers A, B & C. Upon
> opening the main page for list of reports, whihch required user ID
> & password for SSL, it prompts for login again when trying to
> traverse to next page quoting credentials timed-out.

Sounds like a broken web site trying to combine DNS load balancing
with server side sessions without a shared session database between
the servers. Such web server setups will fail in many configurations,
proxies being one.

As you said, this broken web server design can be worked around by
adding a /etc/hosts entry for the server.