RE: [squid-users] Re: ntlm won't prompt

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:39:36 -0400

> Well, there's a little project then :}. In point of fact, in 3.0 squid
> can read pre-digested passwords in the supplied helper.

Well, that's good news.

> You completely misunderstand how digest auth works. See RFC 2617 for the
> spec..

Based on the info you provide here, I think I did understand it - I just
didn't know of any implementation that didn't require the cleartext
password.

> What is needed to verify the password is the HHA1 (see the spec), which
> is MD5(user:realm:password) - possibly combined with one time nonces
> from the client and the server (thats md5-sess, which we don't support
> (yet)).

That's the problem - it's not an MD5 of just the password. So either the
HHA1 needs to be precomputed and stored, or the cleartext password must be
known. This currently presents integration issues - vendors would need to
use some sort of standard for the realm, then precompute and store the HHA1.

BTW, if Squid doesn't support the use on nonces, why are there squid.conf
parameters - such as nonce_max_duration and nonce_max_count - to regulate
their use?

> Once you have HHA1, then you can issue challenges and verify responses,
> without knowledge of the password.

Yes, however, how many vendors store the HHA1 in their password databases by
default, and automatically recompute it at password change? The only current
option is to maintain a separate database just for Squid. Both Basic and
NTLM
are currently easier to integrate (NTLM provided you use a Samba/Windows
domain).

What about using SSL over the client <-> proxy connection? You would get the
easy
integration of basic auth without its insecurity.

Adam

---