RE: [squid-users] Re: Re: ntlm won't prompt

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:05:50 -0400

> Actually the reason, that I want the popup is because I want selective
> users to able to access the web. Not just anyone that walks up to
> someone's workstation and being able to browse the net. Also I would
> like to keep track user's authentication for accounting purpose.

I would recommend you stick with NTLM and find a way to deal with
people using others' stations, because that will cause more problems in
the long run than just Internet abuse.

Failing that, as I had posted before, you can use the winbind basic auth
helper (wb_auth) to get the basic auth popup while keeping the Windows
domain integration. But beware, many users will simply click the handy
"Remember my password" box, defeating the whole purpose.

> I take it I need to replace "acl authusrs proxy_auth REQUIRED"
> with "acl authusrs userA, userB, ..., userZ"? Is there a way to keep
> these users in a different list?

If you only want to allow certain users to access the Internet, take a look
at the wb_group external acl helper. You can configure it to check a certain
Windows group, and only allow access to members of that group.

Adam

---