RE: [squid-users] NCSA Authentication...help

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 15:43:48 -0400

> I am using the RPM that comes with redhat 9. I setup NCSA
> authentication and I am getting a login and password prompt
> from the browser when I hit the proxy, but it does not
> authenticate (I did create a passwd file using htpasswd) I
> thought is was configured correctly until I saw "Too few
> Basic Authenicator processes are running" when I do tail -f
> /var/log/messages while I am trying to log in. Is this a
> clear indication of a problem?

Make sure the password file you created is readable by the
user squid runs as. If not, fix it and try again.

If that wasn't it, or you're still having problems, post
the auth_param lines from your squid.conf and the output
of the following:

ps ax | grep -c "ncsa_auth"

Make sure squid is running when you run that command - it
counts the number of running ncsa_auth processes.

Adam

---