Re: [squid-users] What could be the reason? "client: ERROR: Cannot connect to localhost:8080: Connection refused"

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 16:37:12 +0200

> > That is strange, this leads to an in between
> > sanity check (don't understand me wrong,thx) :
> >
> > - Change , the squid port in squid.conf.
> > - Stop and start squid, make sure that squid's cache.log
> > indicates the new port squid is running on,when started.
> > - Issue the same test again,with the new designated squid http port.
> >
> changed it to port 80
> cache.log looks fine, binded to port 80 :)
>
> ./squidclient -p 80 http://www.netscape.com
> gives me this output:
>
> Alarm clock

 Haven't got a clue, and that totally confuses me.

> what is that?
> The access.log file shows this:
> 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/504 1350 GET http://www.netscape.com - NONE/- text/html

 This could indicate a DNS problem, check whether the squid box, can
 resolve www.netscape.com.

 % nslookup www.netscape.com (e.g.)

> so I tried to access it from a machine on my network and it gave me this:
>
> ERROR
> The requested URL could not be retrieved

> ----
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.netscape.com/
>
> The following error was encountered:
>
> a.. Connection Failed
> The system returned:
>
> (110) Connection timed out
> The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.
>
> Your cache administrator is webmaster.

 This still indicates some basic networking problem, between your client
and the squid box.

 Can you ping it, ssh to it,etc... ?

 Check ip stuff, netmask on both client and squid box.

 If security measures in place inhibit these kind of tests , then
 lower them on a temp. basis, to exclude and verify any basic
 problems of this nature.

 Later on, intended security can be re-inforced.

 M.