Re: [squid-users] "search" setting in /etc/resolv.conf ignored

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Jul 2003 16:50:00 +0200

ons 2003-07-16 klockan 14.07 skrev Mark Sheppard:

> So that if I lookup "host" it first looks for "host.mysite.domain.name" then
> if that's not found it looks for "host.domain.name". This works for
> everything except squid.

Correct.

> The only thing related to this that I can see in
> squid.conf is "append_domain", but that only allows you to specify a single
> domain and is only used if there aren't any dots (I want to be able to use
> "host.othersite" and have it resolve as "host.othersite.domain.name").

Correct.

> Is there any way to make this work?

The RFC says that a Internet style URL (http://, ftp:// etc) MUST
contain a fully qualified host name or an IP address.

But:

You can do whatever you want with hostnames via the redirector interface
of Squid.

Also, if you compile Squid with --disable-internal-dns then you can set
dns_defnames to make Squid use the search pattern like other
applications.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before