Re: [squid-users] What if I have no permission to write into /usr/local?

From: Adam <adam-s@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 16:35:32 -0700

Henrik wrote:
> Binding Squid to low ports is not a good reason why to have to start
> Squid as root. There is no good reason why a proxy should need to run
> on a low port, or why it should not be allowed to when started as a
> non-root user on a dedicated proxy server.

I totally agree but some companies have been using the same port for many,
many years (back in the Netscape Proxy days) and it is just fixed/hard-coded
everywhere. So if you are dealing with an Enterprise wide change, it is not
so easy to say "it's better to run squid on a high port and so we all need
to change." However, as soon as our company migrates to their new
ActiveDirectory/Exchange stuff and things settle down, I would like to work
with the desktop guys to change the port but I point this out as I imagine
other medium to large companies are also stuck with a low-numbered legacy
port for historical reasons.

adam