Re: [squid-users] reconfiguring delay pools enabled

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 10:49:31 +0200

On Friday 18 July 2003 10.18, Aqil wrote:

> Imagine I have 500 users, but statistically there are
> only 100 users log in to squid at the same time. And
> imagine I have bandwidth of 256kbps...
>
> How do you think the most efficient bandwidth limiting
> for my users ?

Depends on your network layout.

If all users come from the same class-C network (/24) then use a
single class 2 pool. If the users come from a wider network then use
a single class 3 pool. In both specify only aggregate and per-user
pool limits (i.e. use -1/-1 for the network limit if using class 3).

In the aggregate limit, specify the max rate you want the proxy to
use, with a equal refill rate.

In the per-user limit, specify a refill rate equial to the max rate
you want each user to be able to use while downloading, and pool size
5-20 times larger to allow for interactive surfing. The more
aggressive you want to limit downloading compared to surfing the
larger the pool size needs to be to allow for interactive surfing.