Re: [squid-users] Accessing external web server

From: Antony Stone <Antony@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:26:03 +0100

On Friday 18 July 2003 6:38 pm, Aidan Gregory wrote:

> We have a very simple test setup:
>
> 1 box (Sun running Solaris 8) running Squid
> 1 box (Sun running Solaris 8) running DNS
>
> Inside the firewall the domain name is mydomain.com. Outside the
> firewall we also have a web server: www.mydomain.com . Users can browse
> the external web server from inside the firewall if Squid is not used as
> the proxy, but as soon as the proxy is enabled in the browser, any
> attempt to access the external server results in a DNS error (Unable to
> determine IP address from host name for www.mydomain.com ).
>
> Any suggestions where I might be going wrong ?

I assume, because you mention your DNS server, that both your clients (which
can access the website) and the squid proxy (which cannot) are pointing to
this for their primary name resolution. Is this assumption correct?

Does your DNS server run 'split DNS', providing different answers depending
on the IP address of the questioner? If so, do your clients and your proxy
fall into different ranges as far as the DNS server is concerned?

Do you have any NAT involved here?

Just one final question: can the squid machine proxy correctly for other
websites - ie is the problem just associated with your own web server?

Regards,

Antony.

--
Success is a lousy teacher.   It seduces smart people into thinking they
can't lose.