Re: [squid-users] restricting download of .exe files ....

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:00:56 -0400

>Thanks for the help

You're quite welcome.

>(I actually did try to find this answer but couldn't .... and decided
> ask the list for its help (thinking that was, in fact, the purpose of
> the list.))

Yes, that is the purpose of the list. However, you did not indicate
in your question that you had checked the archive. And I didn't simply
tell you to "RTFM" - I answered your question, then gently asked
you to search the archives next time (I DID use "please", after all).
If I had known you had already checked, I would have skipped that
part.

>Anyway, let me ask a followup question .... what if I want to disallow
>all .exe files EXCEPT those from microsoft.com? is that possible?
Feel
>free, as I know you will, to tell me to RTFM, but any help in locating
>the right place in the right FM would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not going to tell you to simply RTFM. I would post an answer
here, but I see you have already received several good responses.

I will, however, point you to the Configuration Guide on the Squid
website, and the default config file that comes with Squid. Both
have an extensive section on the various types of acls and what they
do.

Yes, the Configuration Guide is for 2.4, not 2.5, but most of the
info there is valid, and a quick check of the config file will let
you know if there are any differences.

One more thing (this is probably in the FAQ, but I'm not sure offhand):
when you put entries on an acl line like

acl progs urlpath_regex \.exe$ \.zip$

the acl will match any of the items on the line. However, when you
have an _access acl, such as

http_access allow progs microsoft

the line will only match if it matches everything. The distinction
is important, and very useful.

Adam