Re: [squid-users] keep ip source address in logs

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 20:30:01 -0400

>all my users use the server proxy
>but i have the web page for my intranet
>so i use the file proxy.pac where
>we had configured the ip local address to be
>routed directly

>however not all users use proxy.pac and the apache
>logs for my web page intranet.domain appear with the
>ip address of the proxy server

If they aren't using the proxy.pac, then there's only
two ways they can still use the proxy:

1) You are setup for transparent proxying
2) They have the proxy manually configured

>what can i do to get the machine's ip addres that
>generate the request, instead of my proxy's ip
>address? in other terms, how can i redirect the requests
>directly to my intranet web page ??

I assume you want to find this out so you can fix the browser settings
to use the proxy.pac. I don't know if that's possible in Squid.

What I would suggest is to change the port Squid runs on and update
the proxy.pac. You can then add a LOG target in iptables to catch
connections to the old proxy port.

This way, anyone NOT using the proxy.pac will get errors in their
browser, and you'll have the logs to get the source. Then just sit
back and wait for the phone calls.

Adam