Re: [squid-users] Questions about Cache and running squid

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:01:59 -0400

On Saturday 19 July 2003 04:43 am, Liquid Crystal wrote:
> According to my access.log, all my logged requests are TCP_MISS/200
> just like this:
> 1058401272.538 5285 192.168.1.50 TCP_MISS/200 20973 GET
> http://www.apple.com/hardware/ - DEFAULT_PARENT/my.parent.cache
> text/html
>
> According to my understandings, squid is getting the request directly
> from the parent cache, it is not from it's local cache. WHY?! this
> page has been requested several times I'm sure!. Isn't it supposed to
> get it from it's local cache?.

It's fetching all cachable misses from the parent (which is the intent).
It isn't caching them for some other reason. You may want to strip the
comments out of your squid.conf and post it.

> Moreover, in squid.conf, I have configured the following (as
> requested in the documentation):
> cache_effective_user squid
> cache_effective_group squid

It launches as root and switches over to these. There are plenty of
ways to see what the user id is. A 'ps au' should show you the user
for each process. Just look for squid. If it uses a decent amount of
CPU, it will probably pop up in 'top' as well.

        -- Brian