Re: [squid-users] Squid 2.5STABLE3 Questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 23 Jul 2003 20:14:27 +0200

ons 2003-07-23 klockan 15.42 skrev Merton Campbell Crockett:

> Question: Is there any good documentation on the interaction between the
> cache_peer, cache_peer_domain, neighbor_type_domain, always_direct, and
> never_direct configuration directives. There seems to have been significant
> changes in this area from earlier versions of Squid and that it is now more
> difficult to construct a viable Squid hierarchy.

No major changes here for a very long time..

I would recommend ignoring the cache_peer_domain directive. The
cache_peer_access directive performs the same function and gives better
control.

neighbor_type_domain is rarely if ever needed so you can most likely
ignore this as well. You will know if you need this one.

> In preliminary testing, I've had a cache_peer defined as a parent return an
> error status rather than the requested content. This behaviour presents a
> major problem for interior network enclaves that can never directly access
> external web content.

What error?

> Constructing Squid hierarchies seems to have become more of an art form than
> it was in the past. Can someone provide pointers to Squid documentation on
> constructing hierarchies with Squid 2.5STABLE3 or provide examples of Squid
> configurations for systems that never have direct access to Internet web
> content?

The exact same principles applies to Squid-2.5.STABLE3 as it did for
Squid-1.0. But you have some additional control in the later releases
going beyond what Squid-1.0 was capable of.

The basic principle is to use

cache_peer to establish the peering relation

never_direct/always_direct to force or bypass perrings where the default
automatic selection is not desired, such as if you are inside a firewall
and can not go direct. automatic == squid uses peers if Squid thinks
using peer cache servers is good for the request.

then you can use cache_peer_access / cache_peer_domain /
neighbor_type_domain to in detail control your peering relations for
advanced situations which can not be expressed using parent/sibling
terminology alone.

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before