RE: [squid-users] Am I right in thinking squid can block using cl ient PC hostname?

From: David Gameau <David.Gameau@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:26:45 +0930

> From: Chris Wilcox [mailto:not_rich_yet@hotmail.com]
>
> I believe I am right in thinking that providing identd is
> installed on client PC's, I can define an ACL for squid with a list of PC
> hostnames in, then tell squid whether to allow these names or not? I don't
> want to block on username, I want to block by the name of the computer
> itself....if this isn't possible has anyone got any suggestions as to how I
> might do this?

You only need ident if you care about the username.

You can block on client hostname with the src acl.
eg.
        acl denied_host src "denied_host.lst"
        [...]
        http_access deny denied_host

Where denied_host.lst contains a list of IP addresses or hostnames.

David.
__

David Gameau
ISTS - Unix Team
University of South Australia

email: David.Gameau@UniSA.edu.au
phone: +61 8 302 3533
fax: +61 8 302 5800

Disclaimer: "His brain sometimes stops working." - Chiyo, Azumanga Daioh