Re: [squid-users] Bypass squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 00:16:43 +0200

On Monday 28 July 2003 19.03, Mark A. Lewis wrote:
> Guess I need to get my squid box out of the driveway and take away
> the sponge then....

Not at all.

You only need to make that box (not Squid) do yet another function,
forwarding of non-HTTP traffic (most likely using NAT/masquerade).

Squid is NOT a box. Squid is a HTTP proxy which runs on top of more or
less any reasonably modern operating system. Other functions like
email, irc, firewalling, NAT, routing etc needs other software, but
all can perfectly fine share the very same box provided the operating
system used can support them..

Squid only claims to be a HTTP proxy. Squid never claims world
domination or to be able to solve all your problems. The developers
of Squid believe it is better to use several smaller software each
specialized in performing their respective functions really well than
trying to make a single huge software which tries to do everything at
once but not so good.