Re: [squid-users] a sort of transparency

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:03:32 +0200

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 20.54, Adrian Costescu wrote:
> Hail List!
> I'm looking for a feature, but i don't know if squid has one like
> this...maybe you can help me!
> i want squid not to make the request "in his name", i want squid to
> use originating ip address, but also be a cache-proxy so i can use
> its caching ability...i want this for bandwidth reasons...
> so...has anybody done this?
> Many thanx in advance!

The easiest way to do this is by using NAT.

On the Squid server, set up as many private IP addresses as you have
client stations. Then assign each client to one of these private IP
addresses via tcp_outgoing_address.

Before the traffic reaches the Internet, NAT these private IP
addresses back to their corresponding client IP addresses.

Use of a Port-NAT capable NAT gateway is required to allow for bot
natted and unnatted connections on the same IP.

Note: If your Squid is running on the gateway then it may be possible
to run this NAT there as well.