[squid-users] Slow access on local network webserver when using squid.

From: SSCR Internet Admin <admin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:47:07 -0700

Dear all,

A newly installed webserver running on NT IIS 4.0 on our local network to be
used on e-learning web based application, in order to have a decent domain
name, i added a new domain name to my dns server (which is another box which
only have registered ip) and point it to 192.168.50.201. Now when they
access IIS thru my squid proxy (another box), it automatically downloads a
websvm.exe (which is a virtual machine, the way i looked at it.) and all
workstations here are blocked from downloading files from the internet. So i
have add an ACL which could allow them to download that specific file

acl elearning url_pathregex -i websvm.exe
acl file_ext url_pathregex -i "/etc/squid/file_ext.txt"

http_access allow elearning lanstations
http_access deny file_ext.txt lanstations

So it works, but they are complaning that it is slow, both having or not
having use of proxy in their IE 5.0 browser. Coz if they dont use my dns
server and my proxy, they just type the hostname of elearning on the browser
and they have no problem with it... Could this be that IIS 5.0 has problem
that squid can't comprehend?

Btw, i have transparent proxy configured so that no one can bypass my squid
by redirecting them back to 3128

Jose Nathaniel G. Nengasca
Internet Systems Administrator
San Sebastian College-Recoletos