[squid-users] Squid and slow Uploads (POST)

From: Marco Koch <koma666@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 18:51:32 +0200

Hi,

I've set up a squid proxy (not transparent) with squid 2.5.stable3 and
2.4.stable7.

With both versions I have a strange problem. They both work fine: no errors
in logs when starting and also downloads seem to be as fast as a direct
connection).

But there is one big problem: Uploads to web-forms via POST (e.g. attach a
file to a mail using a freemailer webinterface) are very slow.

Uploading to our own webserver took about 2 Minutes for 100kbyte
(100Mbit-Connection). When uploading without using the proxy, the upload
takes about 2 seconds!!

I have installed squid on the central linux-router with 3 interfaces (1LAN,
1DMZ, 1Internet). Shutting down the firewall doesn't solve this problem.
Even without firewall the download is very good, but when posting data, it
is very slow (don't matter to which host I connect).

I use kernel 2.4.21 and the standard .conf-file (only changed allowed hosts
to our subnet ...)

Using the old P166 with kernel 2.4.20 and squid 2.4.stable(5 or 7 don't
know exactly) configured as transparent proxy, everything works fine,
download and uploads ...

Why do downloads work, but uploads not???? Oh, uploads did not work with AND
without SSL!!

Anyone has an idea?

Thanks in advance,

Marco