Re: [squid-users] ACL for Users: what is best?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:36:46 +0200

On Thursday 31 July 2003 21.35, Fernando Maior wrote:

> 1)
> I am using LDAP for authenticating. I would like my users to
> be divided into groups with different access rights.

Ok.

> 3)
> I inserted a new attribute to LDAP called internetClass,
> that can have "level1", "level2" or "level3" as content.

What is wrong with using normal LDAP groups?

> 4)
> Is there a way to create ACLs that can control the
> rights for each group of users as described in 1)?

Yes. See squid_ldap_group. Can be used both in this mode, and for
normal LDAP groups.

> 5)
> Now I am using a script that prepares three files, one
> for each group of users, and one ACL for each group,
> like:
>
> acl LEVEL1 proxy_auth_regex -i "/etc/squid/user/level1"
> acl LEVEL2 proxy_auth_regex -i "/etc/squid/user/level2"
> acl LEVEL3 proxy_auth_regex -i "/etc/squid/user/level3"

If you do this you should use proxy_auth, not proxy_auth_regex.
Especially if the lists are large..

But I would recommend using squid_ldap_group.

> 6)
> Just for information, other rules are:
>
> acl BLACKLIST urlpath_regex -i "/etc/squid/block/blacklist"
> acl INTRANET urlpath_regex -i "/etc/squid/block/intranet"

Again, you should use the dstdomain acl where applicable rather than
urlpath_regex.

Large regex based access lists uses quite a lot of CPU time compared
to the other acl types.