Re: [squid-users] my squid.conf - suggestions?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: 04 Aug 2003 20:17:56 +0200

mån 2003-08-04 klockan 18.43 skrev Michael Kastinger:

> IBM Netfinity 7000 M10
> dual pentium 2 400 mhz
> 2048 MB ECC RAM
> 3 SCSI drivers 7,2k upm ( raid 5 )

First suggestion: Break up that raid 5. raid 5 is not very fond of Squid
cache I/O. Squid has a tendency to push raid 5 into it's worst corner
case (random small writes).

Then make sure to use aufs or diskd as I/O mechanism in Squid. If on
Linux then aufs is recommended, diskd on most other.

And don't set cache_mem or cache_dir too high. See the FAQ chapter on
memory usage if you have not already for a detailed description

also note that Squid is a single threaded application and won't be able
to make good use of that second CPU. You may even get better performance
by running a UP kernel, never activating that second CPU of yours...

Please consult the Squid FAQ and other available documentation before