RE: [squid-users] Using null fs

From: Adam Aube <aaube@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:13:14 -0400

> will null fs with a cache_mem of 250MB could give me a
> higher hit rate compared to a 250MB cache_mem with a
> 3gig cache_dir, or with a 250MB with a 100MB cache_dir
> since i want to lessen I/O bound operations on squid.

You can usually hold more cache on disk than you can in
memory. Using no disk cache will reduce your hit rate.

Also, every time you restart Squid it will dump its
memory. Since you have no disk cache, Squid will have
to fully rebuild its cache every time it restarts. This
will also reduce your hit rate.

In fairness, you will rarely have to restart Squid.

Adam

---